PL | DE

Zbiory Muzealne

katalog zbiorów on-line

The Museoum of Cemetery Art

 Ślężna 37/39                                  Ticket: from 7 zł. to 20 zł.
 MON - SUN: 10 a.m - 6.p.m.10 a.m. t               

 In autumn and winter season open until dusk  

Thursday – admission free                          

phone (71) 791 59 04
The Old Jewish Cemetery

         The Old Jewish Cemetery covering an area of over 4 hectares in the Krzyki district.  Is the only gravesite of the turn of the 19th and 20th century, which is still preserved in Wroclaw.   It is also an original  and unique composition of grave sculptures and smaller architectures, harmoniously coexisting with a properly maintained and carefully cultivated green.  The appearance of the graves has changed over the years - from traditional, tightly made tombstones to bold and monumental forms, family tombstones. In those the influence of architectures of all ages are observable: from Antiquity through  Middle Ages and Art Nouveau up to Modernism. In abundance also were used symbols, secular and religious ones.


         The first burial in the cemetery took place in 1856, the last one in 1942. At that time the cemetery has been extended three times. In the cemetery, in 1945, intense fighting for Wrocław took place whose traces on the monuments  are still visible today.  In 1975 he entered in the register of monuments of the city and since 1988 he works with the rank of a museum. Currently, the area of the cemetery is almost 5 acres on which you can find about 12 thousand tombstones. 


          The Old Jewish Cemetery is one of the few surviving monuments, which is connected with the history of the Jewish community in Wroclaw. The Jewish community had due to their position and wealth a huge influence on the economic and cultural development of Wroclaw. The orderly appearance of the cemetery and the dynamics behind some tombstones are a result of the Haskalah movement - a movement with origins in Germany, demanding enlightening reforms in favour of assimilation. The Old Jewish Cementary is the final resting –place of a number of eminent individuals who had rendered services  to Wrocław, Silesia and Europe.