PL | DE

Zbiory Muzealne

katalog zbiorów on-line

The Military Museum
The Arsenal, Cieszyńskiego 9                            Tickets: 
WED - SAT        1000 - 1700
SUN               1000 - 1800

from  5zł

to 15zł

Permanent exhibitions admission free

tel. (71) 347-16-96

Permanent exhibitions

Old weapons
The exhibition has weapons and artefacts of significant historical value from the Stone Age to the 18th century. It opens with a fragment of a medieval stone cross with an image of a falchion – a single-edged weapon popular in the late 15th and early 16th centuries. Next are the Bronze Age artefacts, including swords and arrowheads, as well as items from the Roman influence period. Hafted weapons are also exhibited, among which are morning stars (a type of spiked mace) and 16th century halberds; the halberd was an extremely dangerous infantry weapon that combined features of battle axes and pikes. They are exhibited along with a spontoon – a type of hafted weapon, rarely used in battle and more often serving as a sign of military rank. There is also collection of edged weapons, including two-handed swords. Additional curios can be seen on the walls of the exhibition room, including various personal protective armour, a close-helm and a backplate from  a 16th century Maximilian suit of armour.

 

Photo Gallery - click on the thumbnail

 

  

 

Firearms
One of the highlights of the Arsenal is that the firearms room is designed to look like an actual armament storeroom. At the entrance there is a very large quantity of arms resembling the old arsenal's original equipment and these are set on a rack. Next you can see long guns – including rifles, from flintlocks dating from the 18th century to the Kalashnikov, as well as submachine guns – from the Bergmann to the Polish PM-63 RAK. There are also heavy and light machine guns (HMG and LMG, respectively). Particular attention should be paid to the Soviet curved-barrel HMG. In addition to the weapons, there is a variety of other items, including ammunition and types of equipment, such as pouches and kits. The exhibition also includes the 82 mm infanty mortar M. 1937 and the 120 mm mortar M. 1943 manufactured in the Soviet Union .

 

Photo Gallery - click on the thumbnail

 

   


Hełmy wojskowe

 

Combat helmets
This exhibition is displayed in the Jacek Kijak Room. Born in Warsaw, Jacek Kijak is considered by museum and military experts from all over the world to be the foremost authority in the field of helmets. In 1999, he donated his personal collection of helmets to the Museum; this collection, painstakingly amassed by Kijak is an extraordinary one, unique in Europe. The Military Museum displays the most interesting items from this collection, starting with examples from the 18th and 19th century and ending with those from contemporary times. There is no shortage of helmets from remote corners of the world, such as Asia. There are both steel helmets and military headgear for combat and ceremonial purposes as well as other types of headgear, such as  – pickelhelms, pith helmets, aviation headsets, motorcycle helmets, and tank headsets. On the ceiling there is a number of Polish helmets (pattern type 50).  Attentive visitors will notice that, even though helmets are of the same design, they differ in tiny details, such as colour, gloss, or the design of the eagle.

 

Photo Gallery - click on the thumbnail

 

 

 

Melee weapons
In this exhibition, laid out chronologically, is an almost complete display of melee weapon of Polish soldiers, from the 18th century to contemporary times. There is an extremely valuable collection of sabres and other edged weapons. Each sabre, backsword, and dussack is accompanied by images to help the viewer understand the subject. Starting with the January Uprising, there are photographs that portray these weapons in the hands of actual insurgents. The photographs are supplemented with other images depicting soldiers with melee weapons. One deserving of special attention is the oil painting “Bitwa pod Kircholmem” (Battle of Kircholm), painted by Wociech Kossak in 1925.

 

Photo Gallery - click on the thumbnail